Search This Blog

HITS

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grammar: Correct Use of Noun Clauses



Pattern: Relative pronoun (what, who, where, when, why, how, that)+ subject + verb...

Noun clauses should be avoided unless necessary.  These clauses are generally considered replacement nouns.  They are used when we cannot think of the exact word or we are keeping the subject matter a secret.

Examples:
  • Let's go to the place where we went yesterday.
  • I want to buy what he was eating a while ago.
  • I don't want to tell you why he quit his job.
  • You really don’t understand how much pain you have given to me.


NOW IF YOU CAN REPLACE THE NOUN CLAUSE WITH THE REAL TOPIC OR NOUN, DO IT.

  • Let's go to where we went yesterday Rob's Cafe.
  • I want to buy what he was eating a while ago tomato and herb linguini.  He was eating it a while ago.
  • I do not want to tell you why he quit his job his reason for quitting.
  • You really understand how much pain you have given to me the intensity of the pain that you gave to me. 

More on Grammar Anatomy


2 comments:

  1. Perfect example from When Harry Met Sally" "I want what she's having." Tee hee....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all want what she is having!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete